My Friend Doesn't Hesitate 17

 ACT 17     Everyone Wants to Get Good Grades, Right?


「Mmm... it's a little dicey.」


Around the end of May.

At morning Homeroom, the homeroom teacher handed everyone in 1st year Class 2 the overall results of the first semester midterm exams that took place a few days ago, but.

Looking at the sheet that had the results written on it, Mashiro let out a dissatisfied groan.


「Shiro-chan, how did you do?」

「... Just barely in the middle.」


Akami asked from the seat in front of her, and Mashiro answered honestly.

She was ranked 152nd overall out of 240 students. Although that was below the average, it was narrowly clinging to the middle class.


「I didn't get any failing marks, so I don't have to take remedial classes, but... for science and math classes, it was a truly close call.」

「Aah, I get you, I really get you. Math held me back quite a bit as well.」

「That's true for Akami as well?」

「See for yourself.」


When she looked at the sheet Akami showed her, her ranking was 92nd overall in the grade, which was reasonably good.

However, just as Akami said, while her scores in liberal arts subjects were almost all 80 points or above, her grades in math and science subjects seemed to fall short.


「Oh my, Akami-san and Mashiro-san. You're making long faces; what is the issue?」

「Ah, Onatsu-san.」

「Midoriya-san.」


Natsu, who was passing by, started talking to them.

As expected, the overall results sheet handed to them by the homeroom teacher earlier was in her hand.


「Listen, Onatsu-san. Both me and Shiro-chan are hopelessly bad at math.」

「Haa. In my case, I'm not that bad at it, but I'm not good at it either.... And that's the same for all subjects, not just math.」


Natsu's grades were in the 60s in all subjects.

She ranked 118th overall in the grade, almost exactly in the middle. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly good either.


「... How should I put it... it's plain.」

「Sh-Shiro-chan!」


When Mashiro unconsciously blurted out her impression, Akami looked at her with a reproachful gaze.

On the other hand, Natsu made a self-deprecating smile,


「Ah, no, that's correct, Akami-san, Mashiro-san. As you see, nothing about my appearance or athletic ability stands out, and my grades are merely passable as well... fu, fufufu...」

「Onatsu-san, pull yourself together! Shiro-chan, look, apologize.」

「Sh-she's certainly extremely hurt... I'm sorry, Midoriya-san, I apologize. Like this.」


And just as a gloomy atmosphere was about to hang over the three of them,


「Ooi, what's wrong, what's wrong? Everyone looks so gloomy.」


A bright, loud voice turned up

When the three of them turned around, Kiriko was there with a cheerful smile. Her spirits were always high, but they were particularly high today.

Naturally, she had the same midterm test results sheet in her hand as Mashiro and the others.

... Mashiro thought that perhaps,


「Kiri-yan, how did the tests go?」

「Oh! I got 1st place!」


She announced loudly.

Yes.

With a height of over 170 centimeters, slender face that could be considered bland, very short hair like a boy, habitual high spirits, and her splendid showings in PE and as a member of the women's basketball club, Kiriko's sports-oriented elements were always conspicuous, but.

Even in academic performance, she was top class... or rather, with the ability she demonstrated this time, she was literally at the top of the grade.


「Kiri-yan, you did really well on the proficiency test right after enrollment as well, didn’t you?」

「Yeah! My results weren't that good from the beginning, but when Itoga-sensei (the women's basketball club advisor) scouted me before admission, I was told there was a policy that anyone who got failing marks would unconditionally not play in matches. To avoid that, I studied like gaah before I entered high school, so in the proficiency test and the midterm, I did them like baah, and it became like this before I knew it!」

「Getting the top rank with a gaah and a baah... u-unfair. Having athletic ability as well as being smart...」

「So people who do well in both school and sports really exist, hahaha...」

「If you like, next time I'm free, I'll teach everyone my gaah method for test studying! What do you think!?」

「Even if you ask what I think...」

「Umm, I'm not quite sure that we're suited for it...」


Akami and Natsu had mixed reactions to Kiriko's proposal,


「Please teach me.」

「Eh?」

「Sh-Shiro-chan?」


Mashiro accepted the offer without hesitation.

There was no way she would think her current grades were fine, and she didn't want to make her mother, who had raised her all by herself since infancy, worry about her.

Above all, if she got any failing marks on the next end of term tests, remedial lessons would affect her summer vacation, and her plans to play with Akami and everyone else would come to naught.

If there was a hint, no matter what it was, she wanted to grasp it.

Not to mention, the top of the grade would be teaching her. There was no need to think it over.


「Kiri-yan, when do you think you'll be free?」

「Mmm, next Sunday we have club activities the entire morning, so how about Sunday afternoon?」

「That's fine. It seems like we'll have a lot of time, so I'd like you to teach me thoroughly.」

「Yeah! Shiro-chi, if you like, my house is close to the school, so I'll invite you over. One-to-one, I'll teach you properly in great detail!」

「――――!」


Around the words『one-to-one』, Akami and Natsu's shoulders jumped and they started shaking,


「Kiri-yan!」

「Kiri-yan-san!」


The two called out to Kiriko with ghastly expressions.

In response to that intensity, not to mention Kiriko in front of them, but even Mashiro drew back a little.


「Wha-what's wrong, Aka-chi, Onatsu?」

「Don't say one-to-one, Kiri-yan, won't you teach me your study method as well!?」

「I also wish to ask Kiri-yan-san to instruct me. How about it!?」

「O-oh? I don't really mind, but... what's up with you two? You didn't seem interested at first?」

『I suddenly changed my mind!』


Those final words were in unison, and they even matched pitch.

Mashiro wondered when the two of them had become so close, but.


「It's fine, isn't it? Let's all get better grades.」

「Well, that's right. Everyone, please look forward to it!」

『............ Phew.』


Studying with two people was better than one, and studying with everyone was better than two; thinking that way, it seemed like they would make good progress. Akami would also be there, so the enjoyment would definitely be doubled.

Mashiro was looking forward to their day off now.


 ☆  ★  ☆  ★  ☆  ★


Uuu, even though I know that Kiri-yan has no intentions like that, I couldn't help but react.

After all, that's enviable, isn't it? One-to-one with Shiro-chan.

... I need to study harder so that I can really do that someday.


Nevertheless.

It wasn't just me, but Onatsu-san was also reacting; does Onatsu-san also want to be one-on-one with Shiro-chan?

No, based on her normal behavior, I think that isn't the case, but... hmm?

Comments

Post a Comment