My Friend Doesn't Hesitate 18.5

 ACT 18.5     Is This Really Pretend Play?


「Thank you for the meal.」


Although there were some twists and turns, the study session ended with a generally good result.

When they were finished, they ate a chocolate cake Mashiro made as their snack, and after a dose of instant coffee, the Kizaki family's living room had a relaxed atmosphere.

They had been stretching their powers of concentration to the limit until a short while ago, so Kiriko honestly thought that it was nice to have a relaxing time like this.


「I'll clean up the plates and mugs.」

「Ah, I'll help you, Kiri-yan-san. Please take it easy, Akami-san and Mashiro-san.」

「Ok, thanks.」

「Kiri-yan, Natsu-san, let's play a little afterwards. I brought some playing cards.」

「Ok, please wait a little. Let's tidy up quickly, Onatsu!」

「Yeah.」


Kiriko and Natsu got up from their seats and moved to the kitchen holding a tray with various dishes on top.

While Kiriko rinsed the dishes at the sink,


「Shiro-chi's cake was delicious.」

「Yes, Mashiro-san’s hand-made cooking was excellent during the cooking class, but as expected, she made something good this time as well. I'd like to learn her technique.」

「In that case, should we learn from Shiro-chi next time?」

「That would be good, if we have another chance like today.」

「But Onatsu's more dexterous than me, so I think you’ll get the hang of it first. At that time, make some for me!」

「... Kiri-yan-san, by any chance, are you only intending to eat?」

「Ah, was I found out? Ah, well, I'm a little sloppy with that kind of work, so...」

「Geez, Kiri-yan-san, you're hopeless.」


As they pleasantly chatted, Kiriko was washing the dishes while Natsu dried the ones she was finished with using paper towels.

Kiriko knew about this sort of peaceful atmosphere in the kitchen. Long ago, and quite recently as well, she had seen it from behind many times.

Yes, this was, so to speak...


「Hey, Onatsu!」

「What is it, Kiri-yan-san?」

「When we're washing the dishes together while chatting like this, we're like a married couple.」

「Wha...!?」


When she nonchalantly spoke what she thought about, Natsu dropped the mug she had been wiping.


「A-are you okay, Onatsu? You're not injured?」

「N-no, I'm fine. The mug is made of plastic, so it didn't break... I was, a little surprised.」


After stiffening, Natsu only just managed to revive.

While breathing heavily with a red face,


「...... I was, surprised.」


Once again, Natsu spoke brokenly.

Kiriko felt a little apologetic for surprising her so badly.


「Sorry, I said something strange. Please forget it.」

「Pre-preposterous! Kiri-yan-san didn’t say anything strange. I was also faintly thinking that.」

「Is that so?」

「I was wondering if it was okay to say. I never expected that Kiri-yan-san was thinking the same thing.」

「Hehhh.」


Their physiques and personalities were almost completely opposite, but Kiriko thought she and Natsu got along quite well in various ways. She didn't really know why, though.

For that reason, if it was with Natsu, even this kind of atmosphere might not be bad.


「In that case, if I called Onatsu something like『My・Beloved』right now, it wouldn't feel out of place if Onatsu responded with『My・Darling』.」

「No, no, no... isn't that exchange a little too old-fashioned? I don't think even newlyweds in the early Heisei era did that...」

「Is that so? In the past and even now, my parents do it?」

「Are you serious!?」

「Seriously serious. So come on, let's give it a try. Don't worry about the details, it's like pretend play!」

「Ehhhhh......」


The hands washing the dishes stopped, and Kiriko turned to face Natsu.

Their height difference was about 20 centimeters, but without looking down, only slightly moving her gaze to make eye contact,


「Then let’s do it.... Right, My・Beloved?」

「!!」


When she said that, Natsu turned bright red and stiffened for some reason, but she quickly regained her composure.

Although she showed slightly hesitant behavior... perhaps she accepted her fate, for Natsu took off her glasses and looked directly at her with those beautiful green eyes,



「Yes, My・Darling♪」



「――――」


What was this?

The moment that was said to her, Kiriko felt like some chord deep inside her had been struck.

Subsequently, the slight embarrassment in her chest rapidly grew bigger...


「........................」


Was Natsu feeling the same way? Her face, which was scarlet from the beginning, became even redder, and forgetting to put her glasses back on, she stayed unable to move even the slightest bit.

With that feeling, the two of them stared at each other for a while without moving, then,


「...... We've finished washing the dishes; shall we go back to the living room?」

「...... Let's do that.」


For some reason, they both had the same thought that they should avoid going any longer.

After Kiriko and Natsu nodded to each other, they briskly returned to the living room.


...... For a while after that, there was no conversation between her and Natsu, but.

For Kiriko, it didn't feel like that bad a feeling.


  ☆  ★  ☆  ★  ☆  ★


Ah... how should I put it... although it was a pretend play, I feel like I've done something amazing...!

In my room that night, I suffered in extreme agony over it.

But... as I thought, I really do feel that way.

It was the first time I realized it was already a decided matter inside me.

Ah, geez, really, what do I do...



And then.

The next day, I was filled with trepidation, wondering what kind of expression I should face Kiri-yan-san with, but.


「Yo, Onatsu. Yesterday was fun. Let's do our best again this week!」


On the other hand, Kiri-yan-san was truly the same as always.

It's a bit anticlimactic, and a bit relieving as well...


... Well, if I think that whatever happens, happens, that might be for the best, though.

Comments

Post a Comment