My Friend Doesn't Hesitate 27

 ACT27     What Are the Two Talking About?


「Nice to meet you, Nishina Akami-san. I’m Mashiro-chan’s mother, Nogi Mishiro!」


When her mother, Nogi Mishiro, came home, the first thing she did was greet Akami in the living room.

She was about the same height as Mashiro, and she hadn't fallen prey to the weight gain of middle age, as she had a slender figure.

She was forty-one years old, and while this was from the perspective of a daughter, Mashiro thought she had a youthful and beautiful face.


「Ye-yes! I'm Nishina Akami. I-I'm lucky enough to be close with Mashiro-san!」

「Fufu, I’ve heard a lot about Akami-chan from Mashiro-chan. She said you're a very cute girl. And she's exactly right.」

「Cu-cu-cute, that's not...!」


Akami was probably feeling the same way. In front of her mother, she had a nervous expression, and after just that compliment, she turned bright red and hung her head. Extremely cute.


「Mashiro-chan, isn’t this child beyond what I imagined?」


Looking at Akami's state, her mother spoke to her with a whisper.


「... Mother, what in the world did you imagine?」

「Se・cret. Hey, hey, can I borrow Akami-chan for a bit?」

「Borrow? What in the world are you planning to do? I won't lend her to you.」

「But it's Mashiro-chan's turn to cook today, right?」

「Nuu......!」

「Mom's hungry after working so hard, so hurry up and make dinner~」

「You're even more energetic than usual... geez, got it.」


Whether it was a person or something else, her mother would try to interact thoroughly with whatever she was interested in.

Moreover, Mashiro knew from repeated experience that when she was highly energetic like this, she was completely unmanageable, so she quickly gave up.

...... She had acted this way with Mashiro before, and she thought that was one of her loveable aspects, but setting that aside...


「Akami.」

「Eh, what is it, Shiro-chan?」

「I'm going to cook dinner, so in the meantime, please keep Mom company.」

「I don't mind, but... I wonder if I'll be okay. I'm a little anxious about being able to speak with her well.」

「Ah.――Anyway, good luck.」

「What do you mean, good luck...!?」


She had said what she wanted to say.

Mashiro honestly felt painfully reluctant, but believing her mother would observe the bare minimum of moderation, Mashiro headed to the kitchen.


 ☆  ★  ☆  ★  ☆  ★


「Once again, nice to meet you, Akami-chan.」


Even after the two of us became alone in the living room, Shiro-chan's mother, Mishiro-san, was active.

I thought this when I first saw her, but she's beautiful. She also looks youthful, but above all, she's brimming with vitality on the whole. I guess this must be what they mean when they talk about a woman aging well.

Shiro-chan might also be like this in the future.


「Um, can I call you Mishiro-san?」

「You can be more familiar and call me Shiro-chan, you know?」

「Shiro-chan... err, um, I call Mashiro-san that.」

「Oh dearー, there's a previous engagementー. Unfortunate. Then, you can call me Missy!」

「... I'm a little reluctant to do that as well, so I'll go with Mishiro-san.」

「Wehー」


Mishiro-san started pouting like a child.

Compared to Shiro-chan, she's constantly highly energetic, but strangely enough, she's easy to get along with.

I was nervous at first, but somehow, I already feel like we've thrown off reserve.


「Hey, hey, Akami-chan, tell me what Mashiro-chan is like at school?」

「Ok. Shiro-chan is usually a little quiet, but sometimes, she becomes assertive as if a switch has flipped.」

「Hmhm, so, so?」

「That assertiveness is very... it feels like I'm being led around by the nose, but it's not really unpleasant, or rather, it feels kind of pleasant...」

「I see. Being unhesitatingly active when she's interested might be something she inherited from her mom.」

「Certainly, it feels like Mishiro-san's that way as well... Also, despite appearances, she sometimes acts like a bit of a spoiled child. When she shows me that side of her, it makes my heart clench and tickles my instincts, to the point where I'll lend her my chest before I realize what I'm doing.」

「Hmm. I see, I see.」


Mishiro-san has been smiling as she's been listening to me talk.

I mean, aren't I practically talking unilaterally? Should I also ask things about Mishiro-san?

Thinking so, I was about to think up a few questions,


「Akami-chan, you love Mashiro-chan, don't you.」

「Eh.....」


Suddenly, Mishiro-san said that to me, and my face heated up for an instant.

However, considering what people generally mean when they're asking about liking or disliking,


「Ye-yeah. As a friend, I want to continue getting along with Shiro-chan!」


Agreeing normally would be fine... that's how it was supposed to be, but,


「No, no.」


Mishiro-san shook her head,



「Akami-chan, you love Mashiro-chan in a romantic sense, right?」

「――――!!!???」



She said that to me with a smile.

This time, my face was filled with heat.

Then, my heart pounded violently, and it felt like my blood was draining from my entire body,


「Ah, sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you by saying that.」

「B-but...」

「It's okay. I'll keep it a secret from Mashiro-chan, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.」


Mishiro-san put her index finger to her lips and winked at me.

I was a little relieved when I realized that she was saying that from the bottom of her heart... but still, my surprise lingered.

I was really startled. My heart is still pounding...


「Mishiro-san, h-how did you...?」

「Mm, I'm in the hostess trade and have been in contact with a lot of people, so I understand. Young people have asked me for advice about their love affairs many times.」

「Hostess trade... ah, perhaps, that super popular 3rd district snack bar...?」

「Saying it's super popular is a little exaggerated, but that's correct. I'm the proprietress of that shop!」


When it comes to the proprietress of the 3rd district snack bar『Utopia』.

I've heard from my mom that she could be considered a kind of legend in this town; despite being over 40, she's popular among single working adults regardless of gender because of her beauty, youthfulness, and abundance of topics brimming with humor.

I never expected that it was Mishiro-san...!


「So, so, Akami-chan, what are you going to do? As expected, are you going to confess to Mashiro-chan?」

「W-wait a second. With the series of surprises, I'm still sorting things out in my head right now...」

「By the way, I warmly welcome a girl like Akami-chan?」

「Mishiro-san...!」

「Fufu, I'm sorry. But if Mashiro-chan accepts, I won't object. It's Mashiro-chan's life.」

「............」


She's... pretty open-minded.

But, if I'm not mistaken, isn't this complete approval from Mishiro-san?

So I can act brazenly and attack Shiro-chan with all my might... no no no, wait, wait, I'm not mentally prepared yet, and Shiro-chan's feelings are a different matter, yeah.


「Fufu, worrying a lot like that is the privilege of the young.」

「... Umm. By the way, Mishiro-san, why did you say this to me?」

「Hmm, if I had to say...」


For just a little, she made a pondering gesture.

When Mishiro-san looked like she had decided on an answer,



「Maybe it's because I've fallen in love with Akami-chan as well?」

「――――」



Clearly, she said that to me.

I felt heat filling my entire body.

Mishiro-san, to me... no, that was so to speak lip service, but when that's said to my face, I can't hide my embarrassment...!?


「Wh-wh-wha!?」

「Oh my, if only that much makes you bright red like this, you might not be able to endure when Mashiro-chan says it to you?」

「F-from Shiro-chan!?」

「Mm, that girl, if she decides she feels that way, I think she'll say it all of a sudden. Be ready at all times, okay?」

「A-are you serious...!?」

「Of course, Akami-chan can say it to her instead?...... Either way, I'm super looking forward to it, fufufu.」

「Auu......」


Isn't it often said that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?

As I continue associating with them, how much will this parent and child have me at their mercy in the future?


――The thought doesn't feel unpleasant; rather, I'm looking forward to it.


I may already be hopelessly unable to break free....

Comments

  1. Aww a super supportive momma is amazing! This will be interesting to see if our poor timid kitty Akami will start getting a bit more forceful with her feelings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment